April 27th Hive Check

On the 27th of April 2018, we checked our hives with the help of Mrs. Sander. In this hive check we expected to see an empty queen cage, partly built out comb, and maybe eggs.

 

This is what Bethany’s hive, Lakti, and Maylyn Sorority looked like before we checked the hives.

IMG_4595

 

 

This is what my hive, Green Gables looked like before we inspected it.

IMG_4598

 

 

This is what one of the outside frames looked like. The bees had not built out very much on the outside three frames.

IMG_4603

 

 

As we got closer to the middle of the hive more and more of the frames were built out. There were a lot of bees on the middle three frames.

IMG_4605

 

 

At the bottom of my hive some bees were by a weird chunk of something. When we pulled it out of the hive it was beeswax! The bees had to have either made this beeswax while they were in the package or it may have come from the hive they came out of.

IMG_4608

 

 

Here I am looking at a frame. Notice the white wax the bees have drawn out on the frame.

IMG_4610

 

 

My queen, Anne, is on this frame. She is two inches down and four inches from the left. She has lots of stripes so she blends in with the other bees.

IMG_4614

 

 

Here is Bethany beginning her hive check.

IMG_4628

 

 

Bethany’s bees had built out their frames a little faster then my bees did.

IMG_4632

 

 

This is a picture of Bethany looking for eggs on a frame. Bethany found eggs in her hive. I did not see eggs, but we think the queen had lain eggs.

IMG_4633

 

 

As we checked the hive, most of the bees continued doing their normal jobs.

IMG_4635

 

 

Here we are crowding around Bethany to see the eggs on the frame.

IMG_4637

 

 

The bees built the middle frames out first then the outside frames.

IMG_4638

 

 

At the end of the inspection, Bethany fed her bees.

IMG_4641

 

 

Here we are cleaning off the top of Maylyn Sorority. We removed all of the sugar because the bees were not eating it.

IMG_4643

 

 

After a few minutes, the bees that left the hive during the inspection began returning.

IMG_4644

 

 

Here we are getting ready to pull the first frame.

IMG_4647

 

 

Olivia searched for the eggs. Because Maylyn Sorority is a established hive they had lots of brood in all stages.

IMG_4648

 

 

Here is a picture of one of the frames in the top box. The bees were mostly in the top box. Because bees do not move down, we switched the boxes around so that the box with the bees in it is on the bottom and the box without bees is on the top. This gives the bees plenty of space to grow.

IMG_4649

 

 

Here is Olivia and me looking for eggs on a frame.

IMG_4651

 

 

This frame has lots of capped brood on it. One of the decisions that had to be made concerning Maylyn Sorority was if the queen should be kept or replaced. Because the brood pattern was so good, we decided to keep her.
IMG_4652

 

 

Here we are closing up the hives. We put ratchet straps around mine and Bethany’s hive to ensure the hive would stay together. Maylyn Sorority has a concrete block on top.

IMG_4661

 

 

Here is Mrs. Sander, Olivia, Bethany, and me after the hive inspection confident that the hives are doing well.

IMG_4664

 

Abigail

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *