Splitting Maylyn

When we checked Maylyn on June 19th, we discovered that they had supersedure and swarm cells. This was concerning because either the queen died or they were planning on swarming.

 

 

Here I am opening up my hive.

IMG_3429

 

 

This super frame was in Maylyn. The long peanut shaped cells on this frame are supersedure cells. These cells were built on one of the super frames.

IMG_3422

 

 

There were ten supersedure and swarm cells on the super frame. The swarm cells are on the bottom of the frame and the supersedure cells are on the side of the frame.

IMG_3423

 

 

This frame has a lot of honey stored in it with brood to the side.

IMG_3427

 

 

Here Bethany is looking at one of the frames. In order to determine whether or not the bees were planning on swarming we had to find the queen.

IMG_3428

 

 

This frame is and excellent example of a good brood. pattern. This queen was a very productive queen. If we found her we would definitely try to save her.

IMG_3434

 

 

This frame had eggs and young larvae in the middle of the frame. This means that the queen was most likely still in the hive.

IMG_3430

 

 

There are at least thirteen supersedure cells on this side of the deep frame.

IMG_3432

 

 

As we continued to search for the queen, we found many excellent brood frames. If we were to split the hive, we would need plenty of brood frames for both Maylyn and the new split.

IMG_3435

 

 

There were just a couple swarm cells on this frame. All of the capped swarm cells are at least nine days old possibly older.

IMG_3443

 

 

We did find the queen which means that the bees were planning on swarming. We decided to split the hive.

IMG_3445

 

 

We split the hive by taking the frame the queen was on and putting it into a nuc. A nuc is a five frame deep box. We made nuc boxes a couple months back. Along with the queen and the frame she is on, two resource (honey or nectar) frames and two brood frames should be put in the nuc. This is a total of three brood frames and two resource frames.

 

Here is what the box full of bees looked like.

IMG_3447

 

 

Here is an excellent resource frame. This frame is full of nectar. We put this frame in the nuc.

IMG_3455

 

 

Mom is evaluating this frame to see if it is a good brood frame or resource frame.

IMG_3457

 

 

This is a good brood frame.

IMG_3465

 

 

Here I am taking one of the last frames out of Maylyn to make sure that we were not missing anything in our hive check of Maylyn.

IMG_3466

 

 

Here I am taking a brood frame over to the nuc.

IMG_3469

 

 

This is a good resource frame because it has lots of nectar and empty spaces for the bees to build out.

IMG_3470

 

 

The bees in Maylyn had some capped honey in the deeps. This is good because we know they will have plenty of honey come winter.

IMG_3480

 

 

This is a nectar frame we placed in the nuc.

IMG_3484

 

 

This is an excellent brood frame and would be perfect to put in the nuc.

IMG_3495

 

 

Her is the nuc with only three frames in it. The middle frame is a brood frame and the outside frames are resource frames.

IMG_3501

 

 

Here is a closer up picture of the frames.

IMG_3502

 

 

Here are some bees on the inside of one of the Maylyn boxes.

IMG_3505

 

 

Here I am shaking some nurse bees into the nuc. The bees on the frames only are not enough to take care of all of the brood in the nuc.

IMG_3512

 

 

Here are the bees quickly getting used to their new, smaller home.

IMG_3513

 

 

It is easy to see the bee’s hair in this picture. The older the bee is the less hair it has.

IMG_3517

 

 

A few of the bees ended up on the outside of the nuc.

IMG_3524

 

 

Because we shake the bees into the nuc, a lot of them flew back to Maylyn.

IMG_3528

 

 

We used a weed to make the bees realize that they were in a new home. The bees will realize they are in a new location and they will re-orientate to the nuc.

IMG_3536

 

After this split we went from three to four hives.

 

Abigail

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *