Moving a Nuc into a Deep

On July 4th, we checked Maylyn, Green Gables (Abigail’s hive), and Lakti (Bethany’s hive). We also moved Olivia’s nuc into a deep box.

 

 

Here I am filling up our spray bottle with one to one sugar syrup. We will spray the sugar syrup on the new frames we are putting in the hive.

IMG_3588

 

 

Mom and I smoked all of the hives.

IMG_3590

 

 

At the beginning of every hive check, we open up all the hives we are going to check. This makes the bees defend their hive instead of trying to rob their neighbors hive.

IMG_3569

 

 

Abigail takes the top super off of Bethany’s hive so that she can inspect the top deep box.

IMG_3603

 

 

To move a nuc into a deep, we needed a bottom board, a deep box with four frames and a feeder, a inner cover, and a outer cover. A leveler is used to make sure that the bottom board is level.

IMG_3604

 

 

Mom and Abigail straighten out the boxes on Bethany’s hive. We did this so that there are as few cracks as possible between the boxes. This helps the bees regulate the temperature of the hive.

IMG_3607

 

 

We discussed how exactly we were going to move Olivia’s bees into a deep.

IMG_3610

 

 

Mom is leveling the bottom board from back to front. A level bottom board is important because if the bottom of the hive is not level it could tip over easily. We tip the hives just the slightest bit forward so that any water can run out of the hive.

IMG_3624

 

 

Mom then leveled the bottom board from side to side. There are two nucs in the background of this picture. Both of these nucs came from Maylyn. One of the nucs is Olivia’s hive, Primlox. The other nuc we gave to a beekeeper who lost some hives when parts of town flooded in July.
IMG_3625

 

 

Here is Abigail inspecting Maylyn. She looked for the queen, eggs, and made sure they did not need more space. Because we split them twice the queen was relatively young. Abigail found eggs and the bees still had plenty of space.

IMG_3628

 

 

Here is Olivia’s nuc next to the deep we moved them into.

IMG_3633

 

 

Here is Olivia beginning to move the frames into the deep.

IMG_3634

 

 

We put the brood frames in the middle of the deep and the resource frames went right next to the brood frames. We did this so that the bees would not overdraw the resource frames.

IMG_3640

 

 

Olivia carefully put the frame with the queen in the middle. Olivia made sure she knew which frame the queen was on so she could be extra careful with her.

IMG_3641

 

 

Here Olivia is putting a third frame in the deep.

IMG_3644

 

 

Olivia inspected this brood frame to see if the queen was on it.

IMG_3646

 

 

Olivia pushed the frames together to make sure that she could fit all the frames in the deep. Nine frames and a feeder is tight in a ten frame deep.

IMG_3652

 

 

Here is Olivia putting in the last resource frame.

IMG_3653

 

 

Abigail finished up inspecting Maylyn while Olivia grabbed the sugar syrup.

IMG_3655

 

 

Olivia fed her hive because it was a small hive and they needed to build out frames and fill them with honey for winter in around four months.

IMG_3657

 

 

We also split Bethany’s hive. We think her hive was honey bound. They were preparing to swarm when we took the queen and three brood frames and two resource frames and made a nuc. This gave the established hive new frames to draw out and put brood in. We put it on a bench in front of the rest of the hives so that the bees would re-orientate to their new hive.

IMG_3661

 

 

We left some comb with honey in it outside on a bench. The bees quickly found it and had it dry in one day.

IMG_3573

 

 

After a couple weeks we moved Bethany’s nuc back next to Maylyn. We now had six hives. (Five after we gave away the third nuc.)

IMG_3665

 

 

Abigail

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *