Bethany’s hive, Lakti, went into winter with a failing queen. We had tried multiple times to help the bees queen right themselves, but they eventually ran out of time. Unfortunately because they did not have a good queen, they died over winter. We went through the dead-out in early April.
After we Lakti died, we were down to four hives.
There were quite a few dead bees on the bottom board.
Here is Bethany pulling out the first frame with the help of Olivia.
They had plenty of pollen in the hive. This frame is full of pollen.
They also had quite a bit of nectar.
We new they did not die because of a lack of food because they had plenty of honey and they had dry sugar on top of the second deep.
The bees actually froze to death. The bee on this frame is dead.
More honey and nectar is on this frame.
Lakti had two queen cups from before winter.
Here is the frozen cluster. It was incredibly small which is a sign of queen failure.
A closer up look at the cluster. The white is moldy bees. We removed the cluster from the hive so the next bees would not have as much clean up work.
More honey and frozen bees are on this frame.
We will reuse these boxes after we split a hive.
Losing a hive is always hard, but often there is nothing you can do about it.